The childhood home of Thor Heyerdahl

Thor Heyerdahl's childhood home
Thor Heyerdahl was a scientist and explorer, and became world famous for his expeditions with Kon-Tiki, Ra and Tigris. Heyerdahl grew up in Steingata 7 and from his room he had an inspiring view to the sea. 

Guided tours available to the public
The house is open to the public from mid June to mid August for guided tours. This is arranged by Larvik Historielag.

Larvik city council made Thor Heyerdahl honorary citizen of the town Larvik in 1971, and for his 75th birthday a monument of stone specie "Larvikite", was made. You can view the statue at idyllic Tollerodden. In 2007, five years after Thor Heyerdahl passed away, Larvik city council bought his family home in Steingata 7.

Famous adventurer
Thor Heyerdahl (1914-2002) was an archaeologist, an author and an adventurer. He is regarded the most famous person ever to come from Larvik. Already as a youngster he was interested in nature, animals and science. He developed a passion for Polynesia when he got in touch with a friend in Oslo, who had lots of literature on this Pacific island.

He studied zoology at the university of Oslo, but he also took major interest in related subjects like biology and anthropology and other topics that had to do with the Pacific region.

Thor Heyerdahl was originally buried on the family estate in Italy in 2002. In the summer of 2024, the urn was transported home to his new burial place at Larvik church.

Thor Heyerdah had three major expeditions:

The Kon-Tiki expedtion in 1947 tried to prove Heyerdahl's theory about Polynesia having been settled from South America in contrast to from Asia. He pointed to vegetation, ocean currents and tropical winds as his argumention, and he meant local oral tradition supported this views.

The Ra expeditions in 1969 and 1970 tried to link the South America Indian tribes together with old African and Middle East civilzations.

The Tigris expedition in 1977. Through the expedtion with Tigris, Thor Heyerdahl wanted to test eventual coummunication between pre-historic civilizations either side of the continents. The reason for travelling to the Bay of Persia and the Indian Ocean was to show the Egpt and Mesopotamia could have had inter-continental business relations several thoursand years ago.

Thor Heyerdahl writings
Thor Heyerdahl wrote quite a few books and articles, and he led several archaeological excavations in Peru, in the Maldives and at the island of Tenerife.

Thor Heyerdahl documentaries
Heyerdahl is the producer of documentaries Kon-Tiki (1950), Galapagos (1955), Aku-Aku (1960) and Ra (1972).

Kon-Tiki the movie
The Oscar nominatd movie Kon-Tiki (2012) gave new awareness to Thor Heyerdahl's adventures and discoveries.

The house can be booked 
Stavern and Larvik Event organizes meetings and dinner for groups all year.
The house enebles events up to 30 people. Happenings with concerts and barbeque may be arranged in the wonderful garden for up to 70 persons. There are three lovely bedrooms in the house. 

Larvik church

Larvik church was built in 1877 and is situated at Tollerodden in Larvik. The church building is made from polished brick, can seat 450 churchgoers and is famous for its paintings and decorations.

Originally the nave and the choir both had wooden floors, but architect Christian Henrik Grosch changed the exterior and the interior of the church in the mid-1800s. External support pillars were built to strengthen the walls, the roof constructions were renewed and a pulpit was put in the church.

Of the interior the marble font and the pulpit made from wood is especially interesting. The Lucas Cranach (the latter) painting Let the little children come to me, with estimated value of 2 million pounds, was a gift from governor Ulrik Frederik Gyldenløve to Larvik church around 1680.

The church was restored as late as in 1988.

River Trail (Elvestien)

It stretches on the west side of the river, from Bommestad bridge to Gloppe bridge. A river landscape with rich animal- and plant life. Parts of the trail are universally designed and has pedestrian and bicycle paths, while other parts of the trail is placed in the forest on narrow trails. Fising and picnic areas have been created in the area below Stubberød. Information boards along the trail.

For more information and map of the trail see Larvik Municipality. 

Farrishallen – Swimming Pool

The area totals 1.000 square metres.

The swimming pool has got 5 lanes and is 25 metres long. There are three high-dive platforms, from 1 metre, 3 metres and 5 metres.

The hall is frequently used by school children at daytime, and by sports clubs and organizations at afternoons and in evenings.

Beach Walk

About 1,5 km stroll along the Larvik seaside, from Skottebrygga to Kanalkaia. Information boards.

Ulabrand – Monument

A monument of Ulabrand is raised at the point where local lodesmen had their observation post.

Ulabrand is regarded as Norway's best known lodesman ever. He worked at Ula from approximately 1850 until he lost his life during an autumn storm in 1881.

At the end of the 19th century the lodesmen themselves had to hail boats and ships that were in need of guidance. Wages were given to the man who came first to rescue – after the first come, first served principle. The lodesman then led the ship safely until it arrived in port.
Consequently, lodesmen had observation posts where they easily could spot ships on their way in the Oslo fiord because of the magnificent view.

There was fierce competition on arriving first to help at the ship's side. The lodesmen often risked their own lives, and Ulabrand was probably the roughest and toughest of the lot. The lodesmen brought many ships and lots of sailors to safety during Skagerrak storms.

Ulabrand himself became a symbol of strong seamanship, but he was first and foremost an important symbol of all the hard work the lodesmen went through to make shipping more secure.

 

Optical telegraph in Stavern

The first tests with the optical telegraph – popularly called the flap telegraph – were done in Stavern in 1808.

Signal Hill, the 75 metre tall top north-west of Stavern city centre, has been used as a site for signalling and military surveillance for a very long time.
The optical telegraph wires replaced the formerly used systems with flag signalling. The wires were organized 1809-10, during the first part of the Napoleonic Wars. The stations were built as observation posts, making it possible to see both of the neighbouring stations from the basis.

In addition the optical telegraphs functioned as a military signalling system and communication system along the coast from Trondheim to Hvaler before the peace agreement in 1814, but the optical telegraph wires were also used for the benefit of civil ship traffic.

The optical telegraph in Stavern was a main site for optical telegraphs in Norway, and visitors may, together with the model, enjoy a magnificent view of Stavern right down below, Viksfjord to the west and the skerries and the ocean southwards.

From Herman Wildenveys gate by the Water Reservoir in the Stavern city centre, you need to walk a 100 metre long path to come to Signal Hill.

Stavern Park

Walking around this square is like travelling through mists of time in culture and in history.

Next door to Stavern town hall, you will find one of the best preserved water pumps in the Nordic countries. The water pump is from 1792. The park is pleasantly surrounded by genuine garrison buildings, and is beautifully situated by the driveway to Stavern city centre.

People used to come here to fetch fresh water, clean clothes and get the latest news and gossip. Today the park is a natural meeting point in Stavern town centre. During summer many couples and bridal parties are being photographed at this idyllic spot.

Mølen

Mølen is Norway's largest beach of pebbles, and it is a part of Vestfoldraet: the terrain left behind after the end of the most recent Ice Age 10.000 years ago.

The cultural landscape of Mølen, with its total of 230 cairns from the Iron Age, is one of the most majestic landscapes in Norway. The area has 16 large cairns, many up to 35 metres in diameter, with almost 200 small cairns in rows parallel to the shoreline. The cairns probably served as "sea markers" along the shipping lanes between different trading centres. This, combined with its striking natural beauty and position on the edge of the sea, makes it a must-see when visiting the area.

You can enjoy a lovely view of the sea at Mølen, and also study the beautiful type of stone called larvikite, a speciality for the Larvik area. There are actually more than 100 different types of rock at Mølen, and a total of 316 different bird species has also been found.
The arrival and departure of the migratory birds is a real treat for visitors. Twice a year the migrants visit wonderful Mølen, heading north in springtime and eventually heading back south when autumn looms.

In the summer of 2008 Mølen was officially made into an UNESCO Geopark Area.

If you want to get to Mølen by walking, the coastal path is easily accessible from either Helgeroa or Nevlunghavn.

Welcome to Mølen!

Krutthuset, Stavern

The need for two gunpowder towers was revealed in report of the year 1756. Part of the reason was said to be the risk of placing a thousand barrels of gunpowder in one place, and secondly that other sites able to host a tower of that size were unsuitable of other reasons.
A proposal showing a gunpowder tower with a vault was sent over, but the board did not approve of this. The condition was that the attic needed to have a wooden floor resting on a tier of joists, making it possible to cover with a thick layer of horsemuck as isolation against bombardment.

The gunpowder tower was also used as prison for a period of time.

Today the building functions as suitable space for galleries and expositions.